Day 1: Fill up with Fat
This likely sounds counterintuitive, but trust me, it’s not when it comes to your hormones, energy levels, and kicking cravings! In order for the body to make hormones, it needs you to eat healthy dietary fats that are broken down into LDL and cholesterol to make hormones along with other nutrients such as B vitamins. Yep, you heard me right. LDL and cholesterol are actually necessary to make hormones. They get a bad rap, but they are not bad for you if sourced in a healthy way. Filling up with healthy fats can also help to balance your blood sugar for longer-lasting energy, to reduce inflammation, and to kick cravings. So what kinds of healthy fats should you indulge in during the holidays?
- Avocado on its own, as guacamole or as an oil
- Full fat coconut milk in your coffee, tea, and/or smoothies
- Organic, nitrate-free, and gluten-free bacon
- Cold-Pressed and organic olive or coconut oil in cooked or baked goods
- Grass-fed ghee instead of butter (less inflammatory)
- Fatty cuts of organic and pasture-raised meats and eggs
Try a fat-bomb beverage like a matcha latte with full-fat coconut milk and vanilla bean ghee. This should keep you feeling full and energized for hours. Focus on filling up with healthy fats at least once a day and notice the way it makes you feel more full, more energized, and craving free.